[Librezale] Translation communities in your language

Txopi txopi a bildua sindominio.net
Al, Maiatza 19, 13:37:51, CEST 2008

Samuel Murray (Groenkloof)-(e)k idatzi zuen:

> [This e-mail goes to a number of Basque translators I found on a
> Google Code search.  I apologise if you have already received e-mail
> from me, or if you're not really a translator in this language.]
>
> G'day everyone
>
> I'm the project leader of a volunteer translation project called
> Decathlon, and I'd like to get more Basque translators involved in
> what we do.  The Decathlon is organised by the African localisation
> organisation Translate.org.za, who also created Pootle and the Translate
> Toolkit.
>
> After having been involved in the localisation of several software
> projects, we noticed a sad trend.  We realised that volunteer
> translators often remain with a single project and do not get involved
> in multiple projects.  And why would this be a problem?  Because these
> translators can't share the skills they gained with other volunteers,
> and eventually their knowledge is lost.
>
> Time and again we see translators create new words in their language for
> things they regard as new concepts, not knowing that other translators
> have already found better solutions for the same problems.  Or sometimes
> translators come up with solutions that work only in one environment,
> because they haven't been exposed to other scenarios.
>
> We believe it is crucial for the free software that translators do not
> continue to work in isolation.  We want to help translators establish
> forums and groups where no such groups exist, or join and enhance
> existing product-neutral communities in their language.
>
> The Decathlon provides a unified online translation system where several
> software projects are involved.  The idea is that volunteers translate
> not one but several computer programs into their language, by working
> together, and by using the opportunity to learn from each other and get
> to know each other.  However, the Decathlon does not provide forums or
> mailing lists or suchlike -- we believe that translators should take the
> initiative when creating or expanding language communities.
>
> Since you have been involved in volunteer translation, I ask you to
> please help us reach our goals, by doing the following:
>
> * If you know of language forums, communities and mailing lists in your
> language that are not product-specific but cater for volunteer
> translators of any computer program, please let me know, so that I can
> mention it on our wiki and pass the knowledge on to other translators.

Hi Samuel:

There is an open community that translates free software to basque language:
http://www.librezale.org/

We have an open mailing list where we receibe suggestions for
translations, we decide what to translate next, we share doubts and
knoledge about how to translate words, etc.

Some time ago, we started to use Pootle for some translations (but not for
basque traslation of Mozilla and other translations):
http://www.librezale.org:8080/

As you can see in the CC field, i'm forwarding you message to Librezale,
but I understand that we support fully this initiative and that someway we
complement it.

Thank you for your work!

NOTE: if you want to replay, please send your message to all of us:
librezale a bildua librezale.org